Paula's Place

Paula's Place

Thursday 19 July 2012

Old Bras

I just half heard a news item on the radio about the finding of some medieval bras, remarkable since it was previously thought that bras were a 19th Century invention.    Although all of the academic fashion world seems surprised, when you think about it it makes sense.   Read more about the story here 

When I first heard this I thought to myself, well I think my wife has some in her chest of draws that old, looking at the picture I think she has some in similar condition as well.   For some strange reason she will wait until her bras are absolutely falling to pieces, and have turned grey (what ever colour they started out as) before she will even contemplate replacement.   When she does replace a worn out bra the new one is usually exactly the same as the old one, and always from the "functional" end of the range.   On the other hand I have to resist the temptation to buy more and more bras, I already have more than she does, but then mine are from the more frivolous end of the spectrum.   Maybe this is the difference between lingerie and underwear.

No comments: