Paula's Place

Paula's Place

Monday 12 December 2022

Another New Toy

The last couple of weeks autumn has been trying to get itself done, and in consequence I was spending all too much time clearing leaves up, I think these two magnolias eventually filled five of my big green sacks, at least on this job I didn't run out of day light"

This is two weeks out put from one garden, frustratingly most of those leaves are not from trees in my customer's garden, but from ones in his neighbours'. By the time I had loaded up the van and cleared up it was properly dark. At many of my customers clearing the fallen leaves is the final job of the year and I won't be going back till March to start the late winter/early spring pruning.

I am a little worried that at a couple of my gardens I hadn't finished clearing the leaves before yesterday's snow came.

Last week I was very lucky to be able to meet a good friend at Phil Parker's, London's leading Brass shop. It was good to meet up (tuba players don't often get a chance as so often there's only one of us per band/orchestra. I was particularly keen as I wanted his opinion on an instrument I was buying. To be fair not only did we agree on the instrument, he also helped me negotiate a good deal! So I am now back to three tubas!

I say I was lucky because it's that time of year when all brass players are active, somehow there is a natural affinity between brass and Christmas ~ maybe it's the influence of the Salvation Army, but it seems as though every brass band is out playing carols, and every choir, shopping centre, or Railway station would like one as well. That's great, it's nice to be wanted, but unfortunately there just don't seem to be enough of us to go around, and all too many of those choirs and venues don't want to pay!

Sunday's Office
Last week I had four performances, 1 playing, 2 conducting, and 1 stand up (I was particularly pleased with my stand up as this is only the second time I've done any, I felt a lot more relaxed and less self conscious than the first time, I now think there may well be a third time coming up) This week I've already had 2 rehearsals and a concert and it's only Monday afternoon!

Although I still have a few rehearsals I think I just have some carols to play on Saturday and a concert to conduct on Sunday. While I love all this musical activity, I'm doing most of it either on trombone or conducting, so I haven't yet been able to show off my new toy!

No comments: