Paula's Place

Paula's Place

Sunday 1 May 2016

Typical

A typical Sax Player
The other day I was having a conversation with the Sax player with the Jazz Band I play in, he commented something like, "Now that's my idea of what a Bass Player looks like". At the time I didn't really think about it, but it made me wonder how we get our ideas of how different instrumentalists should look.   Sure some will come from people we know, but others may be from early images we take in.

For many of us those images will be from the Muppets band.
Personally I think these characters were inspired, as they capture so much of the stereotypes of the instrumentalists. I am sure that most of will remember Animal on the drums, Rolf the piano playing dog, Zoot the cool dude on sax and of course the band leader Dr Teeth, but who was the bass player?

Well he was Floyd Pepper the cool guy with the whiskers, Janice played Guitar and sang a bit too.

Suzi!!!!

But I can think of other early images of Bass players, and I'm not at all sure where my image fits in


Emma Hughes, brilliant young bass player, I think I may have played with her at WOW last year
.

No comments: