Paula's Place

Paula's Place

Sunday 4 January 2015

The Two Towers

The more observant reader may have noticed that over the last few weeks, or so, I have been playing around with the appearance of Paula's Place.   This has been mostly part of my advent calendar, and then my new year wishes I now want to show a nice big HAPPY NEW YEAR to you all, which meant changing the background again.

I choose this one from the Blogger stock of standard backgrounds, not because of any affection for Paris, but because it reminded me of my home, Crystal Palace!

A bit like me Crystal Palace is many things to many people, to some it is an area of South East London, where the multiple Boroughs of Croydon, Bromley, Lambeth, Lewisham and Southwark all meet.   To some it is the National Sports Center, to others again it is the Association Football Club.

To others it is the triangle of streets that make up what is known locally as "The Triangle" at the same time both a commercial and residential area, on one side is Church Road which houses All Saint's C of E Church (Which gives it it's name) and the United Reformed Church, there are also place to eat and a couple of excellent Pubs, curio shops and an old cinema being converted into a "Mega Church". then we have  Westow Street the home of the Salvation Army, the Greek Orthodox Church and the Holly Bush, one of the oldest land marks from an ancient cross roads in the Great North Wood (hence Norwood) now the pub has changed name only remembered in the name of hardware store.   The third side is the fully commercial street of Westow Hill, with the library, interesting delicatessens and antique shops alongside restaurants, pubs and normal everyday food and stationary shops, there is even a plumbers merchant.


It was a fascinating place to grow up not least because when I was younger different licensing rules applied on different sides of the road, one side of Westow Hill was in Surrey and the pubs were open from 5:00 till 10:30 the other side was in London where the pubs opened from 5:30 to 11:00, such anomalies have now largely disappeared.   For me the best part was always the park, now also in danger of disappearing.

This park is Paxton's masterpiece, a major great heritage site, the site of the old Crystal Palace itself and home of the Dinosaurs yet is still under threat of development by Bromley Council.   Paxton has always been one of my Heros but I have fond memories of this park, going to motor racing there in the 60s; international athletics in the 70s; floodlit Rugby in the 80s and first class concerts all my life.

It has always been a favorite of mine and is now a favorite of my daughter as well, I do hope that we are able to keep it.

No comments: