Paula's Place

Paula's Place

Thursday 15 January 2015

It's not Fair

I hear this or echos of it so often, it used to be from my daughter, like all children she used to interpret fair as getting what she wanted so when she didn't get what she wanted, it would be "It's not fair!"   Now I hear it from trans people, when they realise that we often do not have the same social privileges as Cisgender people, or the other night wishing I could just swap "equipment" with a trans man "It's not fair" but it just doesn't work like that.

I hear a new (to me) term "passing privilege" which I think means that she looks better than me ~ "It's not fair".   Young people are not listened to even when they are knowledgeable and have valid opinions, women still are not treated equally, Gay men and women still do not have true equality with their straight contemporaries, and if you are an immigrant, or of immigrant stock then forget it!

Well I've got news for you, for virtually everybody in this world IT IS NOT FAIR, basically unless you are white, male, hetrosexual, middle aged, and middle class then it is not fair.

Inforaphic from Newrepublic.com
Which makes it all the more strange that so many white middle class men seem quite eager to give up this privilege to live authentically as the people they know themselves to be

No comments: