Paula's Place

Paula's Place

Friday 30 August 2013

Just a Little Prick

OK so if you expected this post to be about anything other than a blood test go and wash your mind out with carbolic!  

Yesterday (Thursday) I had my HNS Health Check, this is one of our current government ideas for making us all a bit healthier, so all of us of a “certain age” are being called in to see a nurse at our GP’s practise for a quick check up.   This consists of a few questions a cholesterol check, pulse and blood pressure along with some basic measurements.
 
And yes, she did say this will “just be a little prick in your hand” before taking a very small blood sample from the end of my big finger.   I am pleased to be able to report that I resisted the temptation to be a little naughty.   As expected the good old government think I drink too much, but the good news is that blood pressure, cholesterol, pulse and BMI are all on the good side of recommended levels.   To check the BMI I had to be weighed and measured, so the when that came around along with the simple request to “slip off your shoes” came I should not have been surprise, but since I was not wearing socks but was wearing bright red nail varnish, I paused, before slipping off my shoes and got on the scales.   The result was fine (75kg) and the nurse was far too professional and nice to comment.

So it is now official, as far as the risk of heart disease is concerned I am not only a very low risk, but apparently about 10 years younger than I actually am.  So you can expect Paula’s Place to keep going for a while yet.

No comments: