Paula's Place

Paula's Place

Thursday 12 January 2023

A Island of Contrasts

A land of contrast
Regular readers will know that I have a great affection for the small Mediterranean islands state of Malta. Malta actually the largest island in the Maltese archipelago and so gives it's name to the nation. It is a Country of contrast, the ancient capital city of Mdina, Valletta the current capital and World Heritage Site, ancient megalithic "temples", archaeological remains from the Punic and Roman eras ~ alongside ultra modern developments almost obsessive road building programs, and ever more and more tourist developments. There is a history of small scale corruption left over from the British colonial period, but now some observers feel that this has now spread to government and senior members of "the establishment".

From my visit in 2014
I first visited the island back in the 1980s, at that time there were still a lot of signs of the disused British military bases, the EU funded developments had barely started and outside of St Paul's Bay the tourist industry had yet to industrialise. I simply fell in love. I love the food, the culture, the architecture, the people I meet are always open and friendly, and of course the weather helps.

Today I read an article in The Times of Malta about the Maltese Parliament deciding to tighten their laws banning conversion therapy for LGBT+ people, Malta was also one of the first European countries to introduce self ID for recognition of trans people's legal gender. Despite being a culturally profoundly Roman Catholic they are one of the most open and accepting communities I have come across, yet another area of contrast.

The Island is very different now from when I first visited all those years ago, some of the changes are for the better, some are for the worse, but it does strike me that somehow this tiny country (the smallest in the EU!) can enact and act upon really progressive inclusive legislation, while my own United Kingdom seeks to do the exact opposite and restrict the basic rights of Trans people at every opportunity.

I have just been through the laborious process of going back through the many years of this blog to add the "Malta" label to previous posts about, or from the Island ~ looking back I see lots of fabulous photos and lots of fabulous experiences which are now fabulous memories.

No comments: