Paula's Place

Paula's Place

Wednesday 18 December 2019

Advent Calendar XVIII



It's getting close! But, is it feeling a lot like Christmas yet? I'm not at all sure that it is here, it just feels cold wet and grey. I suspect that it is this feeling that inspires so many to decorate their houses, when I was growing up our decorations were always indoors, then at some point (I think in the 1970s) a few houses would start putting some lights in a tree or window, now it feels as though almost every other house is festooned with lights ~ some to greater effect than others!

This year for the first time I have noticed that whole communities are putting up Christmas lights, there is a residential road near me that even has Christmas lights on all of the lampposts! (The photo is not of that community, but filched from The Telegraph)

Sometimes I find myself yearning for a simpler time, but in all honesty it was probably only simpler because I was young and my parents did the worrying. Sure they were worrying about some different things, but at least we hadn't got into competitive Christmas Decorations!


No comments: