Paula's Place

Paula's Place

Thursday 28 November 2019

Not Happy

I should be so happy! I have just started working as conductor of the wonderful Allegra Concert Band, I've just had a couple of great Gigs conducting Croydon Brass, with another couple still to come. I still have a fabulous concert to come with the equally fabulous London Gay Symphony Orchestra. I have enough work to keep me busy until I go on holiday next month, and some already lined up for next year. All in all everything should be good. But sometimes even when the big things are coming together the small things can still be really irritating.

There's a saying that comes round every now and then along the lines of "Don't sweat the small stuff"! Well just at the moment I'm doing exactly that. On Tuesday I parked my van up at the side of West Wickham High Street while I popped into Lorrimer's to buy some paper, on returning a few minutes later (feeling a little peeved that the assistant there had been surly and as unhelpful as she could contrive to be.) to find my drivers door mirror gone! The various parts of it were strewn across the road. OK this will be easy to fix and not too expensive, but it is annoying.

Even more annoying this morning I woke up, looked out my window to see that one of the wheel trims on my van was missing. It was only after I was dressed and went out that I realised all four of the wheel trims were missing, closer inspection showed that the cable ties I had attached them with were cut and still in place, they had been stolen over night while the van was parked in the private car park behind my flat. ~ Once again these are not especially expensive, but once again I am excessively peeved. This is all just hassle and expense that I could seriously do without.

I think I need to cheer myself up by thinking about the fun joint concert I've got coming up with the brass band the "Choir on the Hill" ~ I understand that they do very good cake, I'm not sure I can compete with that, but maybe I can find a little seasonal surprise for them.

A friend of mine always suggests not going on eBay when drunk, by way of explanation he cites the occasion he bought a bassoon by accident! Well, like so much good advise I failed to follow this, and bought myself a dress, well, a seasonal treat, well, maybe a costume. Well, you decide!

I really don't expect it to look this good on me, indeed even it is wide enough for me, I suspect that I will probably still be too tall! However, I am still considering bringing it out as a Christmas treat for a couple of my remaining Christmas performances, before going on holiday next month.

1 comment:

joanna Santos said...

Sometimes life has a way with its bittersweet mixture of extremes. We get great things mixed in with awful ones at the very same time. I am trying to take those in stride more and more as I age and just accept there is little I can do about the timing.

Cute dress by the way :))