Paula's Place

Paula's Place

Wednesday 3 December 2014

Technology and the Domestic Goddess

I seem to have been on a bit of a cooking kick over the last few days.   So far I have made a casserole which I have eaten on two nights and still have another couple of servings in the freezer.   Then I managed to get some reduced price fish so I made a couple of fish pies, both of them are now in the freezer as well.   Along with a pizza and another couple of things that means I now have at least eight meals in the freezer.   With the rest of he vegetables I didn't use in the casserole or the fish pies I made a soup which I will be having for dinner tonight.

Currently I have some caramelised red onion chutney simmering away in the kitchen, once bottled I am planing on using some this as Christmas presents.   All in all I have been the very figure of the domestic goddess.

However none of this is the most remarkable piece of cooking I have done recently.   I have always enjoyed cooking, mostly savories but the odd jams, puddings and cakes work their way in as well.  I preserve, roast, bake, fry, and grill.   I have even been known to (reluctantly) barbecue.   The Remarkable thing is that yesterday I used the Microwave to cook something.

In the eighteen or so months that I have been on my own I think this is only the fourth or fifth time I have used the microwave at all, and on those occasions it has been to defrost or warm up something quickly.   I have never been fully comfortable with microwaves and would not buy one if I did not have one already.   So what culinary delight did I need to use this piece of technology for? A baked potato with grated cheese and baked beans.   Even this Domestic Goddess has her off days!

No comments: