Paula's Place

Paula's Place

Wednesday 17 December 2014

Advent Calendar ~ 17

 Most of us will have a Christmas tree, whether it is a real tree we have gone out into the woods and cut down before trimming bringing into the house and decorating, or like me a totally fake plastic and fiber optic thing brought out of the atic year after year. Many will also have holy wreaths and, or mistletoe.



My understanding is that this is all down to our germanic ancestors who would decorate their homes with greenery at yule tide to honour the gods of the forest, and guarantee fertility and the coming of spring the following year.

Maybe that's where we get the tradition of kissing under the mistletoe from. I don't think it matters too much as long as we have Christ at the center of our celebrations I don't thin it matters how we celebrate, and I hope we all manage at least one kiss over the season!

No comments: