Paula's Place

Paula's Place

Monday 20 January 2014

Cashing the Cheque

I gather that today is Martin Luther King Day, now this is not a big deal over here in the UK but I gather it is much bigger in the USA where he is quite rightly honoured and respected.    He was a figure who represented freedom for all, OK his articular emphasis was on the Black American and how they were treated at that time, but what I read in his speeches applies equally to all.


Part of the famous "I have a dream" speech that always strikes me

When the architects of our republic wrote the magnificent words of the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence, they were signing a promissory note to which every American was to fall heir. This note was a promise that all men, yes, black men as well as white men, would be guaranteed the unalienable rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
It is obvious today that America has defaulted on this promissory note insofar as her citizens of color are concerned. Instead of honoring this sacred obligation, America has given the Negro people a bad check, a check which has come back marked "insufficient funds." But we refuse to believe that the bank of justice is bankrupt

Can the gay, and trans Americans even now say that the cheque has been paid?

I know that as I am no American and so maybe I should not be commenting but, whether we like it or not America is the leader of "The Free World" ~ however unfree so may feel ~ and I still refuse to believe that the Bank of Justice is bankrupt.

A full transcript of the speech can be found here

No comments: