Paula's Place

Paula's Place

Wednesday 19 June 2013

Perminent?


Well I've had quite a day one way and another, I managed to squeeze a couple of firsts in as well.   As I said earlier I had been looking forward to having my hair done, partly because it was getting a bit shaggy, partly because this has now become a Paula activity, partly because it means a little time off and partly because for the first time ever I was going to have a perm.   Not a tight curly perm just a nice relaxed one that will give a bit of bounce and body to my hair, at least that was the plan.
When I wanted to get ready to leave I found that both my wife and daughter were staying at home for the day, this rather disrupted my plans, but not too much, it just meant that I would have to slip on my dress and makeup on the way, not ideal but I am used to this.   As it looked like being a nice day I wore one of my cotton summer dresses, a very nice pastel green one that because of the lousy weather  I've not worn for over a year, it was nice to get it out and remember why I like it so much.

It took quite a while to do my hair, all those rollers and the smelly stuff “cooking away” under a shower cap, I was just relieved that I didn't have to sit underneath one of those hood dryers!   As is the way with hair dressers we chatted away about this and that, and of course the weather, as I was leaving she mentioned that the sun had now come out, and complimented me on my dress, I said something like yes it’s nice to have a chance to wear it and enjoy the sun, and she said “Yes sometimes it’s good to be a woman isn't it” I could only smile stupidly and agree.
After that I had a couple of chores to run, including a visit to my Building Society, this is where I have my current account, and I went in to ask if I could have an additional card in another name.   Obviously I want one in Paula’s name, I saw one of the staff I often see who always makes a point of checking my nails and how I’m dressed and will always find a compliment.   Although she always has a smile for me she has obviously not checked my card too carefully before, as when I asked about having another she said that wasn't possible, but went on to say that they should change the name on the card anyway as it was clearly wrong.   I had to explain that I still use both names, I think this was the first time she realised that I am not full time, or transitioning.   A bit stunned she said something along the lines of “But you always look so nice, your hair and nails, and always a lovey dress” Although disappointed about the card this did rather make up for it!

No comments: