Paula's Place

Paula's Place

Sunday 26 August 2012

Something new

Every now and then it is good to do something that you have never done before.   Eat something you have never eaten, go somewhere you have never been or just experience something new.   It is one of  the ways we learn, we can learn more about ourselves when we push the boundaries of our comfort zone, trying new things.   I have heard it said that we should try something new every week, but that sounds a bit prescriptive to me, anyway today I will be doing something I have never done before.
I will be playing my bass guitar with the worship band at this evening's service.   I have played bass in all sorts of bands, Worship Bands; Wind Bands; Dixieland Jazz Bands; Polka Bands and Brass Bands but it has always been a Brass Bass, that is a tuba.    Many years ago (probably over 30 years) I did play the bass guitar a few times with a wind band but never progressed beyond that.  

Because I am quite competent on the Tuba and have no particular desire to play rock or swing bass I never really bothered with the technical problems. 20 years ago I went to work at Expo '92 my then girlfriend (now wife) and friend packed up my flat till I returned, the bass guitar only emerged earlier this year.   So it has had a 20 year rest, now restrung and serviced it is ready to play and I am committed, but very much unprepared, to play tonight.

I am not sure what worries me most, that I might make a total hash of it put people off their worship and undermine any reputation I have for musicality, or that I do OK and then have to buy a new bass, an amp and all the other stuff that goes with it.

No comments: