Paula's Place

Paula's Place

Sunday 19 August 2012

Rochester?

I received an e-mail the other day just titled Rochester, I assumed it was something to do with the diocese, this is not unreasonable for me since I was on the Synod and am currently on the committee of the RSCM.   I forgot that I also have a customer ( a Methodist Minister) who lives on Rochester Avenue, and it was about their garden.  
Of course many people will think first of Mr Rochester the bigamist and love interest in Jane Eyre.   I was put in mind of him earlier today listening to Woman's Hour on BBC Radio four as they discussed suitable holiday reading, there was much discussion as to the character of Rochester, and Jane's suitability as a feminist icon.   Personally I find the Brontes generally quite hard work,needing a bit more reader input than I am prepared to give.

Mrs T Herself
Next month I am playing in a last night of the proms style concert in Basingstoke, the music has just been sent through to me so I could have a look at it before actually having to play on the day.   Even a quick glance immediately told me that I would be using my EEb, the register and the keys just scream EEb, on the CC every single piece would be bit harder, and on the BBb a lot harder.   This means that at some point I will have to go up into the attic and get my trusty old customised Besson down.   We have quite a small house so I only have the CC (which is in a very large case) and what ever other instrument is in useat the time in the house, the others along with mutes and stuff live in the attic.

Over the last couple of years I have used the CC as my main instrument, but the EEb comes down quite often, when the parts are higher or more active.   I have also had quite a few occasions to play the Trombone and the Euphonium, but the poor old BBb ~ Mrs T Herself ~ has not been down for a couple of years.   I am beginning to feel a bit like Mr Rochester keeping my mad first wife in the attic while I dally with younger prettier models downstairs.

1 comment:

Pretty Sissy Dani said...

For many Americans of the right age (like myself), "Rochester" will immediately bring to mind Jack Benny's manservant from his radio and TV series, played by the very funny and very talented Eddie Anderson.