this article on Couture Allure there we get given the golden rules
"A beautiful walk is the sign of a graceful, poised woman. Start in your good posture stance and follow these steps:
- Lift your thigh slightly. Don't lead with your shoulders.
- For a feminine walk, the space between your steps should be about the length of your foot. Too long a stride is masculine, too short is mincing.
- On each step your heel should touch the floor first, then quickly shift the weight forward to the entire foot as you take the next step. Keep your feet close to the ground when you lift them.
- Arms should hang relaxed at your sides with palms toward the thighs as they swing forward to the front of your body. Shoulders should be relaxed and elbows close to your sides.
- Keep your toes pointed straight ahead and place your feet directly to the side of an imaginary line running down the centre."
The more I consider it the more I am convinced that whether your aim is to pass or to blend then deportment is at least as important, possibly more important than what you wear or how good your make up is.