Paula's Place

Paula's Place

Saturday 9 March 2019

Ladies First

Yesterday was the International Women's Day, it feels odd that over 50% of the World's population need to have a special day to celebrate women, and to highlight the injustices, the prejudice and the inequalities that we have to deal with on an almost daily basis. But we do because we do, we need it because our world is still very far from equal. OK here in the UK it's better than in some other places, but ;~
I think the only two areas where Women dominate in the UK at the moment are in Monarchs and Prime Ministers! ~ I think most of us will agree that one of them is doing a pretty decent job!

I celebrated by joining colleagues from Diversity Role Models in running some workshops with a School in South East London. This is a largely Girls Performing Arts School so I think all of the pupils we saw were girls, I was impressed by their knowledge, engagement, and potential, quite a few were from faith backgrounds and I was very happy to be able to respond to them from a similar point of few.

Sometimes with all the abuse being thrown at Trans Women at the moment, it's easy to forget what we keep telling people, "Trans Women are Women", we are just as effected by misogyny and inequality as all other women, and have an equal responsibility to combat it and to help educate youngsters towards inclusion and equality.   I am happy to do my bit, through DRM and through participation in "Ladies First" a local exhibition in Croydon Town Center highlighting the diversity of women working and living in Croydon. This Photo is on display opposite the Town Hall, just in case they forget who I am!

No comments: