Paula's Place

Paula's Place

Monday 21 October 2013

Credit Where it is Due

I need to apologise, the other day I posted a photo, without giving credit where it is due Justin David is a professional photographer and writer so it is even more important to place the credit where it is due.   He set up a studio in his flat to take these photos, he used a black background and two lamps, as well as some natural light from the window.   I understand that my glasses were a bit of a problem as they kept giving unwanted reflections, but since I do wear them all the tie he did want to keep them, as after all that is what I look like.

Justin has been talked into doing the publicity shots for the orchestra by Nathan, one of our oboe players and a bit of a star in his own right, they were both at last nights concert, with Nathan playing and of course featuring in the Britten Young Persons' Guide.

An old Brooke Bond Card portrait of Benjamin Britten
Last night's euphoria is beginning to wear off a bit now, but I have to say that it was a great concert, and a very interesting, and challenging program.   Well, challenging for most of the orchestra at times I felt a bit of a fraud as everybody else has these really difficult parts to play, especially in the Britten Fugue, while hiding in a corner at the back on Bass Trombone I just have to occasionally interrupt with some rude noises.   Every now and then I will look across at the parts played by the violins or woodwind and I'm in absolute awe of some of the things they manage to play.   I complain if I have more than four notes in a bar, and semiquavers make me panic so last night I was impressed by all those musicians with all those very exposed very tricky passages, especially those like the Basses who are not very used to being in the spotlight.

For now I will just quote what one of my colleagues and friends from the Orchestra wrote on Facebook last night

Fabulous concert with the LGSO tonight. We rocked it, if I do say so myself! Our last concert with Amanda, who blasted the Sibelius Violin Concerto into touch with a well deserved standing ovation. Good luck in your lovely new pastures,  we'll miss you x
And thanks to 
David for leading so brilliantly - man you owned that fugue!!

No comments: