Paula's Place

Paula's Place

Thursday 19 January 2012

Boxing

BBC Radio 4's Woman's Hour seems to be going through a strange patch, Yesterday (Tuesday) they had a discussion on men wearing pink, and came o the conclusion that as long as it is tasteful it's OK so n pink golf trousers but shirts are fine, one of the ladies commented my husband wears pink shirts, and hes a real "Rugger Bugger" well I used to play Rugby (and in the front row at that!) and I have a pink shirt so that's pretty re-assuring, they didn't say anything about slips, camisoles or panties though.   The over all discussion was on wearing this season popular pastel colours, I was tempted to let them know I have a nice pastel green dress as well as my pink shirt but thought better of it.
Then today (Wednesday)  they had a peace on boxers wearing skirts this is the blurb from their web site; "As women's boxing makes its Olympic debut, is the Amateur International Boxing Association (AIBA)wrong to suggest women boxers wear a skirt? An online petition opposing the move has collected nearly 50,000 signatures. The AIBA say it will allow spectators to distinguish female competitors from their male counterparts. As the Committee prepares to meet in Bangkok this week to finalise the changes, Jenni speaks to the BBC's Olympic Sport Reporter, Jessic Creighton; and is joined by professional boxer and trainer, Marianne Marston, and Laura Sapperstein who is a boxer and also designs kit, to examine whether wearing a skirt undermines the status of women boxers." It seems to me to be bazaar to make competitors in a activity like boxing to wear a skirt of all things, I think there should be some serious questioning of the motivations here.   I am no fan of boxing I would certainly not be lured into watching women's boxing just because they were wearing skirts.   However what was interesting was when one of the guests revealed that a lot of male boxers are wearing skirts, she then stressed that they were "Gladiator" style but I think I did hear her say that they were pretty, and feminine.   I may have miss heard so check it out, I think you may only be able to listen if you are in the UK.

No comments: