Paula's Place

Paula's Place

Sunday 8 January 2012

A Family Night Out

It's Saturday night and we had a little celebration, it is coming up to a big birthday for my wife so we had to celebrate, during the summer we saw the Spaghetti Western Orchestra play a prom on TV.   We enjoyed it so much that we decided there and then to make sure we saw them live next time they were in London.   Well they are in London at the moment, they are at the QEH (Queen Elizabeth Hall) until Wednesday, we went to their performance tonight.
Perhaps I should explain that they are not a conventional orchestra, indeed five guys play everything  making a much bigger sound than I for one would have thought possible.   This is something that comes across s much better live than on a recording or on TV.   I know that as a musician I may be biased but it is true, live is best, for sound, communication with the performers, for atmosphere, and for enjoyment.

Without a doubt this has got to be one of the best shows I have ever seen, and the only time that I have spent an entire concert with a smile on my face.   By the very nature of the band the repertoire is a little limited but the standard of musicianship and the visual impact of the performance and the production was excellent.   While maintaining their high level of musicianship they also managed to extract music from coat hangers, cereal, an apple and sundry oddities (Jaws harp duet!, ukulele, mandolin, bassoon, harmonica and plenty of others).   My recommendation is to see them as soon as you get a chance, even if you are not a fan of Morricone you will still find plenty to enjoy, they even had my 14 year old daughter singing along to the Good the Bad and the Ugly! I don't think I can beat the description "Genius and Insane in equal measures"
Anyway take a look at their website http://www.spaghettiwesternorchestra.com/  check out the clips and make an appointment to see them live.   I don't think that there are many bands that can entertain my wife, my daughter and me at the same time.

No comments: